Tuesday, 19 December 2017

Drapetomania

I don't know what is more terrifying -
The look I see on your face,
A look I have learnt to distrust,
Or your actions which lead me to doubt
Every single person I've ever known,
And trust the people I have been.

I don't know what is more terrifying -
The ice I feel beneath the warmth of your skin,
Or that in spite of my aching cold
I try to make some warmth in me,
For you.
And yet still feel cold.

I don't know what is more terrifying -
To trust or to be trusted,
When all my stories are just stories,
Stories, I made to make life bearable.
And yours are real with the capacity to hurt,
Because your lies tend to look like my truth.

I wish I knew what to fear to tame,
From you, from this,
From the possibility of us,
That slow burn or this cold flame.