Monday, 2 June 2014

Spooks.13.

Gloria William Mathew (the emotionless wife)_
I woke up and found him dead. They said it was an asthma attack. But I don‘t think so. I think my dear little sister is looking after me from heaven. He was a tryant. I loved him, yes. Even with all his faults because he was kind to me. But there were moments that I hated him with every fibre of my being for making me feel like a scared, helpless nothing. I don‘t know why he did that. But he did.

No one can blame me if I looked outside for help, relief... comfort. I found it. And Germain was so kind. A one-night stand. After that I introduced him to my sister-in-law without Will‘s knowledge about my role. Like I expected, they were happy together. Like calls to like and deep calls to deep.

Either way, my baby is safe from a father who would have treated him or her like another trophy on his shelf. Maybe it really was an asthma attack but I‘m superstitious. He called me stupid for that. But she never did.

She never did.

Ashler Germain (is love forever?)_
I never expected to wake up on this hospital bed. I can‘t believe this. No one had known. Then how did the ambulance find me just minutes after I had passed out?

The counsellor told me that I was depressed and suicidal about my girlfriend‘s death. He told me it is understandable and normal. I just need to stay here till all the toxins are out apparently. I don‘t know, medical whatever thingies. It‘s been 2 days since I woke up and 5 days since I was admitted. I will be discharged tomorrow I think.

It feels so weird that last week I couldn‘t imagine being with anyone but her. But now I feel nothing at all. Just... numb. All the grief and anger is just gone. Her brother died yesterday and made the headlines. Strange, how they followed one after the other.

I feel so empty most of the time. Except when Julia comes in. Apparently she is the one who found me. My new neighbour next door, a nurse who recently recovered from a coma. Seems like she had had an accident and had severe brain injury. The fuzzy dark hair on her head hasn‘t grown enough to cover the scars. But she is still pretty.

Very pretty and very kind to me. Makes the high point of my day everytime she comes around with that smile and a bag of apples and oranges.

*knock knock*

“Hey, you look better today. What did the doctor say?“, her smile feels so real. And if I wasn‘t so numb, I might have mistaken it for sincere affection.

And if I wasn‘t so dumb, I wouldn‘t have mistaken it for the same smile as hers. But that smile is something I won‘t see again.

“Hi. Thanks for coming again. Doc said I can leave tomorrow.“
“What! So soon?!“, so much shock and excitement. Worry and happiness at getting her messed up boy-next-door neighbour back again I suppose.
“Yeah.“
“Don‘t be such a grouch. Here, have an apple. You won‘t believe what happened today...“

She is talking so animatedly. The gestures and manner of speaking strangely reminding me of her. A weird line is floating through my mind in her voice, I‘m back home... With you...

Strange. The sky is clear outside. The first star is peeping at me from near the moon. Why do I feel like it is winking at me?

My attention is back on her. Her soft curves and smooth looking skin marred by ugly scars. Her pink lips moving, saying something. She put lipstick. Her hand over mine as she is saying something. My eyes are closing.

It‘s dark. A feather light touch on my forhead. Warm, soft lips. So much like hers. Quiet whispers in my ear but my eyes are still closed. A reminder of love? I don‘t understand. Is it you baby? I wish it could be you.
But it can‘t be. It never can. I told my goodbyes baby. I can‘t live with you.

You‘re a spook. Goodnight.