Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Flashback_3

“Joseph called. I need to go“, he bent and kissed her forehead while buttoning up his shirt. She woke up drowsily, clutching the blanket to her chest. She glanced across at their table top Disney clock. 5.12am. “At this time in the morning?“, she enquired, her eyes heavy with sleep. “Yeah. Actually the bartender called me. He got flat out drunk“, he sighed. She sat up and brushed her fingers across his face,“Bring him back here. He can sleep in the spare room. He really isn‘t taking the divorce well.“
“Well that bitch cheated him and then ran off with the next unsuspecting loser. He should have known better than to get married in less than 2months of knowing each other...“
“True but still. These things happen“, she brushed her lips across his and patted the side of his face.
“Well I‘ll be off then.“
“I‘ll make coffee and wait for you two.“
“I‘ll be back soon. Love you.“
“Love you too. Hurry back.“ He left and she slowly eased out of bed. Shuffling over to the bathroom, she washed her face, brushed her teeth and got dressed. A black sleeveless top and faded blue jeans. She made her way to the tiny kitchen and started brewing coffee. Just then her cellphone began chiming “Dernière Danse“ by Indila. She had just changed the ringtone last night after falling in love with the lyrics. It was him, “Honey, I‘m coming home.“
“So you found him?“
“Yup. I can smell your coffee already.“
“It‘s waiting for you.“
“Baby?“
“Yeah?“
“I love you.“
“I miss you. Come.“
“Coming.“
Humming the lyrics, she set the steaming pot of coffee on the table and poured herself a cup. Then her phone started ringing again. It was 5.41am and an unknown number. Wondering who it could be, she answered the call. “Hello?“
“Is this 917685768433?“
“Yes, who is this?“
“This is the bartender of Dougie‘s.Your boyfriend came down here to get his friend?“
“Yes...?“, her breaths came quicker as she started to slowly panic. “Yes he went there. What happened?! Why are you calling??“
“Look, the police and ambulance are here. Your drunk friend tried to take control of the car and ended up smashing them into a tree. Your friend is breathing... He didn‘t get hurt too bad... The driver‘s side was the one that hit the tree... I‘m afraid he... He didn‘t make it. I‘m so sorry lady. He was a nice man. Hello? Hello??“ She hung up the phone. It couldn‘t be true. It just couldn‘t be.

He‘s never coming back. Though he said he would. Guess Fate had a different idea in mind. How fast everything went by. All so quick. Too quick. Now nothing is there as a keepsake. Nothing could truly be called theirs. They had never married. They never wanted to risk things by rushing it. And now... Now all those beautiful memories... The good and bad and everything in between. The last dance was over before it even started. All that was left for her now were these flashbacks. Nothing more.

The End