Thursday, 15 September 2016

Lost and Found

​I'm no longer the person I used to be,
The story we dreaded came to be,
The person you were, I used to know,
Echos of sadness sound in these halls -

There is no more of reckless abandon,
The endless messages on phone,
The love letters on white lined papers
Kept safe, untouched since our loss,

I wish you'd recognise this person again,
Just as I hope to realise our love again,
This house feels so empty, we're two strangers now,
Marriage doesn't seem all so rosy now.

There's a child in the crib crying for love,
Our vacant eyes just stare at each other untouched,
I reach for the child, the cries fades away,
Maybe we gained more in our decision to stay this way?

The child in my arms reach for you as well,
It knows nothing of the cold war between two beds,
It was conceived by love and born to hate
Which indifference has replaced of late.

The child is with you now, she has your eyes,
My thick hair, fair skin and childish smile,
Easy laughter, she got from you
Are we going to break her too?

The greyness of my skin, the chalky touch of your hands,
Our last few days? We need to make plans,
Our pain seeping through the sheets,
We hold hands...

More promises made, a few tears shed,
We're no longer the teenagers who wrestled in bed,
Two adults, workers, spouses, parents
Labels on labels that don't make sense

We're no longer those whom we used to be,
We have to create a new story for three,
A better story, less of a war,
Where we're close and not this far...

There is a light now in your brown eyes,
The golden streaks now seem to shine,
Your touch is gentle, it doesn't hurt anymore,
Everything seems different from before.

Our child between us, safe and sound
Our love renewed, lost then found.