Thursday, 25 June 2015

The problem is,

The problem is,
I don't want to say goodbye,
I want to say goodnight,
I don't want to hug you now
Just when I know you'll go,
I want to hug you
When I know you'll stay close.

The problem is,
I don't want to say good morning,
I want to say hello
And meet you again for real,
Each day like a constant refresher,
A favourite song on replay,
Where we'll fall in love with each other
Over and over again.

The problem is,
I don't want to see you go,
Not if you're going forever,
Not if this is to be a farewell,
Not if this is to be the last dance,
The last hug, the last kiss.
I want to be your forever last,
The woman standing beside you.

But the truth is,
You've already packed your bags,
You're standing at the door,
You're watching me say all this
And wondering how you stayed so long,
You're going away to never come back,
You're asking me to not be empty,
To not be a drama queen and make
The last day, the LAST day, a misery.

The truth is,
I knew you'd leave.
I gave you every bit of a broken heart
Which was all I had left after years
Of caring too much, realising too late,
Of choosing to be the fool who
Thinks she is loved.
And you put it back together,
Sealed it together with gold,
Just to throw it down again
And walk away like it's all good.

Unfortunately reality begs me,
To analyze, to rationalize my pain,
To understand your situation as well,
To forgive that I was never your priority
Even when I gave you first place,
To comprehend that my feelings
Are my own responsibility,

Reality forces me,
To accept that I will not be accepted,
To accept that this is no one's fault.
But where will you be?
When you need that love,
When you need that acceptance,
When you need a wake-up call,
When you need that one person
To be your home,
Where will you be?
Where will you go?
I hope it will be, still,
To my back door.
To my window sill.
To my room.
To my love.
To me.